March 19, 2020
To our Residents and Family Members: COVID-19 Containment Efforts Update
During these uncertain times I wanted to take a moment to provide you with an update of all the extra steps we have put in place to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19, to Seneca View. Following guidance issued by the Centers for Disease Control, and the NY State Department of Health, our facility has implemented many initiatives that reduce and prevent the potential spreading of illness. All of these efforts have one goal – protecting the health of our residents and the staff that care for them. These additional steps include:
• All non-essential staff, visitors, and vendors are prohibited from entering the nursing home, except families and hospice staff necessary for residents with end of life needs;
• All staff have been instructed to remain home if they have any fever or flu-like illness symptoms;
• All staff entering the nursing home receive a shift by”shift health screening prior to entering facility;
• All staff in the nursing home will be wearing masks when caring for, or in the presence of, residents;
• All group activities have been postponed and residents are encouraged to remain in their rooms;
• We have started a “Resident Visitors” program where all residents are assigned a current staff member who visits them periodically to socialize and learn of any additional needs or preferences;
• We started an “Activities Room Service” program to obtain resident requests for in-room entertainment and activities supplies;
• We have placed five computer tablets in service for residents and families to enjoy video phone calls;
• The Schuyler Hospital Auxiliary has begun providing additional activities supplies and materials;
• Numerous local organizations are sending greeting cards so that visiting staff can share well-wishes from the community with our residents while these temporary measures are in place.
The worldwide pandemic continues to present challenges for health systems around the world and ours here at home. As new information becomes available the directives we receive from the Centers for Disease Control, and NY State Department of Health, include changes to our practices. All of these changes enhance our existing efforts to prevent the further spread of this outbreak.
Currently we have had no suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19 at Seneca View. If at any time a case of COVID-19 were to occur amongst our residents or staff you will be notified, and advised of the additional steps we will be taking. Please also monitor schuylerhospital.org for updates, and the Seneca View pages.
Thank you for your understanding and patience with these enhanced measures, and for helping us to take greater care of our Seneca View community. If at any time you have questions please feel free to contact our nursing units, our Director of Nursing, or me, at 607-535-8611.
My Best Regards,